Friday, August 6, 2010

Introducing...Lys Hunter Schwartz

I originally met Lys last summer while we studied in Copenhagen, Denmark with DIS. She studied furniture design while I studied textiles and we bonded over a love of all things Scandinavian. Lys says


"I just finished my thesis "tools for the good life" at Pratt, completing my masters in industrial design. I examined how products can help us connect to our selves, each other and our environment. For inspiration I looked to ritual, anthropology and psychology. 


Through my research, I met Travis; his process and design philosophy closely reselmbles my own. Through our talks and his mentorship, I became aquanted with Spirit of Place and was thrilled to be invited to be a part of it. I am looking forward to returning to Helsinki for this project. Bringing historic identities and legacys into the present with projects like this reinforces the unique cultural charecter, creating what Joseph Campbell would term an updated mythology. 

I am looking forward to getting to know all the individuals involved with the project, seeing the concept come to life and generally getting to be a part of this gift to the finnish people and culture."


Upcoming projects for Lys include a bar and restaurant in NYC and eventually making her way into teaming up with celebrity chefs and farmers markets to promote systems that will facilitate healthier eating habits. Certainly a woman with a plan! Check out her website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment