Monday, May 16, 2011

Student bio: Miguel Castro

Miguel with his poetic model
A bit of good fortune landed Miguel in the right place at the right time to participate in this year's Spirit of Place--Nepal.


I became involved with Spirit of Place randomly. I had to choose an architectural elective to take to finish off my final semester here at CUA as a graduating senior, and this was one that seemed the most interesting, I wasn't aware that it was going to be a mini studio I would be taking on the side, but once I learned that the project we would take part in designing will actually be built and in Nepal, I could not help but be more interested in the course. 

I was never aware at a young age that I had a deep connection with architecture. I remember being interested in architectural drawings (primarily section and plan drawings) and actually understanding space through these drawings alone. In high school I took a drafting class that eventually made me want to pursue it once I graduated.

I am taking a year off of studies for now. I plan to travel to Peru for a few months and explore the places I haven't seen or visited. If that doesn't go through, I will be looking for a job. Then, I plan to go to grad school after this year.

How many times in my life will I be able to go to Nepal? How often am I going to be able to say that I took part in a design and construction of a building in another part of the world? Nepal is going to quite an experience not only architecturally but culturally.

I have no clue about construction. I do know how to get rid of that blinking 12:00 light on old school vcr's and cable boxes...if that helps in anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment